Weekends in the morning
Education• J.D., University of California, Davis, 1984
• B.A., Environmental Studies, Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, 1980
ExperienceWyzant Tutoring, Inc., 2013-present
Independent private tutor for students of all ages in law school subjects, social studies, English/writing, and exam prep such as LSAT and the bar exam. In my 25+ years as a lawyer, as well as my 3 years of tutoring and 6 years of coaching, I've been fortunate to build a background that gives me unique perspective and understanding of how to support a variety of learning styles and personalities.
EF High School Exchange Year (Portland, OR)
Regional Coordinator, Oregon-Washington, 2014 - present
International Exchange Coordinator and Student Counselor, 2007 – 2014
Regional coordinator and manager for high school foreign cultural exchange program. Supervise, train, and oversee a team of 8-15 local coordinators. Oversee 30-35 foreign teens studying in the U.S. Select, interview, and evaluate host families; select appropriate students and oversee enrollment process at local high schools; conduct host family and student orientations and ongoing meetings; provide counseling for students and advice for families during the academic year. Maintain relationships with local schools, school counselors, and administration. Work to ensure compliance with U.S. Dept. of State regulations.
Legal Advisor, The Climatographers – Jan. 2013 - present
Contract attorney and legal consultant, focusing on strategy development, legal consulting, HR and business advice, renewable energy, and climate change. Skills include:
• Business, finance, and human resources management
• Corporate law for small and mid-sized businesses
• Contract negotiations
• Climate change and energy law
Legal advisor to The Climatographers, conducting risk management, policy consulting, and scenario development in risk-based climate change thinking and strategy development. Work includes corporate advisory work in climate scenarios, climate risk assessment, mitigation and adaptation strategy development, and customized risk-based positioning strategies, as well as knowledge management tool development.
Sumner College (Portland, OR), Adjunct Lecturer, 2014
Taught Environmental Law, Administrative Law, and Contracts Law to paralegal students studying for their certificate. Textbooks were pre-determined; course content beyond that was up to instructors as were methods of lecture and delivery. Developed lecture materials and presentations, gave students practical research assignments, developed mid-term and final exams, presented lectures. Position ended when college ceased operations of in-person paralegal program at end of 2014.
Trexler Climate + Energy Services, Inc. (Portland, OR), Vice President and General Counsel, 1992 - 2007
In-house counsel and senior administrative officer for energy and environmental consulting practice with emphasis on climate change mitigation. Clients included large and small private-sector companies, trade associations, governmental organizations, intergovernmental organizations, and nongovernmental organizations. Responsibilities included:
• Legislative monitoring and regulatory analysis regarding climate change policy development and international environmental law.
• Client representation in the design of state, federal, and international greenhouse gas mitigation and offset policies.
• Research and analysis on legal and policy issues ranging from power plant siting to tropical forestry; legal analysis and witness preparation in contested regulatory proceedings.
• Investigation of climate change mitigation business opportunities and development of investment business plans; preparation of due diligence for mitigation projects.
• Assisting clients with regulatory processes associated with energy facility siting, including environmental impact and legal analysis.
• Financial oversight of company; staff oversight; personnel management.
Hobbies*Lawyer/consultant working on climate change.
*Regional coordinator/manager for high school international cultural exchange program (want to host an exchange student?)
* Coach high school team for regional and state Constitutional Law competition held in January each year
*Love dogs, cat, traveling in our RV
*Two wonderful sons just finishing college!
12th Grade Reading, Law, LSAT Reading Comprehension, LSAT Logical Reasoning, LSAT Essay Section, LSAT Analytical Reasoning, LSAT, Legal Writing, Legal Research, Writing, Contract Law, Constitutional Law, 12th Grade Writing, 11th Grade Writing, 9th Grade Reading, 9th Grade Writing, Administrative Law, American History, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP US Government, AP US History, 10th Grade Reading, 10th Grade Writing, 11th Grade Reading
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.